Saturday, March 15, 2008

A Place Where The Clouds Move Slower


Afternoon Clouds
~10" x 13"
Pastel on Canson Paper

Nor do they go away. Just like today. I've been trying to get out and paint, and the weather is making it tougher on the weekends. Over many summers, I 've spent a few days in a remote corner of British Columbia, ostensibly on a fly-fishing trip, yet I generally end up painting. (I would not call myself a fisherman) The weather up there can be quite varied every year, and I've grown accustomed to continuous drifts of clouds, and the periodic rainstorms that come with the territory. What I have observed up there is that the clouds seem to move slower, or perhaps it is just my imagination. Regardless, clouds figure into the equation, unless I'm painting portraits of fish that have been caught by my in-laws, nephews, and my son.

From that locale, I've learned to paint from a boat, correcting my view periodically with the oars. I have even painted in a boat while another was fishing, Such was the case with the image below. My brother-in-law Bob was dry fly fishing in the shallows as I worked away. To each his own, and it is nice to have company from time to time. There's a common ground between painting and fishing, which I shall restrain myself from elaborating on.

Happy Saturday.


Eagle Point
~8" x 13"
Pastel on Canson Paper


Andrew's Fish
~9" x 16"
Pastel on Canson Paper

7 comments:

James Baker said...

I am so glad that you started a blog, Bill and so glad that I found it. I look forward to seeing more and more of your beautiful work

Adam_Pintek said...

Bill! These are absolutely amazing!! Very inspiring!
Thanks again for coming to San Jose State last semester. hopefully you come again soon. :)

Mike Dutton said...

Reading your thoughts on art and fishing and the bond between them, I can be pretty sure you were there for Winslow Homer's Artist and Angler exhibit at the Legion of Honor several years ago. I get the same sense of adventure and love of life and the outdoors from your entry that I felt when I saw that show. In both cases I can only sigh, because as inspired as I may be by you and Homer, the fact remains that I can't even hook my bait, let alone a fish!

Thanks for another great post, Bill!

Bill Cone said...

A visit by the Blogfather Jamie Baker? I am honored, sir!

Adam, I'd be happy to come
again when I'm done with the next project, but by then you'll likely be married with kids.

Mike- I did indeed see the Homer show. I enjoyed how he cut and tore the paper right off the surface of his paintings to get the highlights he wanted. No liquid mask for that guy...
I think Homer was more immersed in the natural world. He didn't just do it a few days out of the year. When I go up there, I really enjoy the cameraderie, but I'd rather paint than fish. Fortunately, fishermen often pursue their craft in beautiful locations, so there's something for everyone to appreciate. Of course, one can be 'immersed' anywhere.

Thanks all for the notes.

Craig Mackay said...

Uber-inspiring post. Thank you over and over again for sharing your work!

Nonie said...

Wow... I saw your work in the Early Birds show and then a friend linked me here... I've got to say I haven't seen anything so inspiring in a very long time. Your atmosphere and light is awesome. I need to get out and do more plen aire.

Unknown said...

WOW!!!